President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the extension of the second phase of the eased lockdown for another four weeks.Continue reading “BREAKING: Buhari Approves Extension Of Eased COVID-19 Lockdown By Four Weeks”
The federal government has announced August 4, 2020 as the date for resumption of secondary schools across the country.
This was contained in a statement issued on Monday by Ben Bem Goong, director of press and public relations, ministry of education.
According to the statement, the decision was reached after a meeting of stakeholders in the education sector on Monday.
Only students in exit classes are expected to resume, so that they can participate in the West African Examination (WAEC) exercise scheduled to begin on August 17, 2020.
“Secondary schools in the country are to reopen as from the 4th of August, 2020 for exit classes only. Students will have two weeks within which to prepare for the West African Examinations (WAEC) due to start on the 17th of August, 2020,” the statement read.
“These were the unanimous decisions reached today at a virtual consultative meeting between the Federal Ministry of Education, Honourable Commissioners of Education of the 36 states, the Nigeria Union of Teachers, (NUT), the proprietors of private schools, and Chief Executives of examination bodies.
“It was agreed that the exit classes should resume immediately after the Sallah break, from the 4th of August, 2020 to enable them prepare for the WAEC examinations scheduled to commence from the 17th of August, 2020.
“The meeting also resolved that a passionate appeal be made to the Federal Government through the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 and public spirited Nigerians for assistance to schools across the country to enable them fast track the preparations for safe reopening, as agreed.”
Another meeting is scheduled for Tuesday “between the federal ministry of education and chief executives of examination bodies namely, NECO, NABTEB and NBAIS to harmonise their examination dates, which will be conveyed to stakeholders expeditiously by the Federal Ministry of Education”.
In March 2020, schools across the country were closed in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Although it was announced earlier in July that schools would reopen, the decision was reversed and federal government colleges were exempted from taking part in the WAEC examinations for the year 2020.
Various reactions followed the decision, with the house of representatives, as well as other stakeholders in the education sector, urging the government to reconsider.
The ministry of education had eventually announced that it would discuss with WAEC on a possible shift in the date for the commencement of the examination, which was earlier scheduled to begin on August 4.
On July 13, 2020, the ministry of education released guidelines to ensure safety and prevent the spread of the coronavirus in school environments.
This is as the probe into the alleged corruption in the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) continues.Continue reading “#NDDC Probe: Akpabio lists names of lawmakers who got contracts”
Suspected members of the extremist Boko Haram sect have shot dead five persons believed to be humanitarian workers.
Mr Isa-Funtua died Monday night while keeping a doctor’s appointment, according to family sources.
He is suspected to have died of cardiac arrest as he was not known to be seriously sick.
The Katsina-born newspaper publisher and industrialist was a minister under the civilian administration of Shehu Shagari.
A member of the 1994-1995 Constitutional Conference, he was also the founder of Bulet International Nigeria Limited, which built some of the iconic public buildings in Abuja.
A relative of the deceased octogenarian, Mohammed Isa, confirmed the news of his death to Bloomgist News
He said Mr Isa-Funtua will be buried on Tuesday in Abuja.
Presidential spokesman,, also confirmed the death.
Mr Shehu said Mr Isa-Funtua was returning from the mosque where he went to pray when he suddenly fell ill and decided to go see a doctor.
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the naming of the railway complex in Agbor, Delta State, after Nigeria’s former President, Goodluck Jonathan.
After initial reports that slain tech CEO Fahim Saleh had been the target of a professional hit on Tuesday, New York City police Friday arrested the entrepreneur’s 21-year-old personal assistant, who was expected to be charged with murder.
– The embattled former NNDC MD, Joy Nunieh has appeared by the House of Reps committee
However, Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers in his official vehicle forced his way into Nunieh’s house and drove out with her.
The alarm was raised by one of Saleh’s siblings, after she became concerned because she had not heard from him for a day.
Three persons have died and nine injured following a building collapse on Freeman Street, in the Lagos Island area of Lagos State.
– Unknown pneumonia, a new outbreak which is deadlier than coronavirus is reportedly putting many at great unease in China –
According to HowAfrica, the Chinese health department has not been able to identify the virus despite the fact that it has killed 1,772 people – An official report stated that the deadly impact of the disease is much feared than the popular coronavirus.
A new outbreak said to be deadlier than coronavirus has reportedly broken out in Kazakhstan with Chinese officials raising alarm. Called the “unknown pneumonia”, the Chinese embassy said that while the country’s health sector is looking into the disease, they are yet to make any headway in identification, HowAfrica reports.
“The death rate of this disease is much higher than the novel coronavirus. The country’s health departments are conducting comparative research into the pneumonia virus, but have yet to identify the virus,” the embassy said.
According to a purported official statement from the embassy reported by the same media, the death from the disease is about 2,000 in the past six months of the year with over 30,000 cases of the virus.
“Unknown pneumonia in Kazakhstan caused 1,772 deaths in the first six months of the year, including 628 people in June alone, including Chinese citizens, the embassy said in a statement. The fatality rate of the disease is much higher than COVID-19. “Health officials have recorded more than 32,000 cases of pneumonia between June 29 and July 5 alone, along with 451 deaths,” it said. Sauke Kisikova, the health care department boss in Nur-Sultan, said that nearly 300 people are hospitalized because of the disease every day.
Meanwhile, It was earlier reported that scientists alerted the public of a new flu virus resident in Chinese pigs, saying it has become even more infectious and dangerous to humans and needs to be closely monitored so it does not become another pandemic. The study by the scientists said the virus threat is not imminent. The discovery was made when a team of researchers assessed influenza viruses found in pigs from 2011 to 2018.
They found a G4 strain of H1N1 which has all the features of being a pandemic. The paper of the study was published by the US Journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). It was also discovered that people who work on pig farms have a high amount of the virus in their bloodstreams, adding that it is important to monitor workers in the swine industry.
Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has been suspended by the Presidency, according to a report by Sahara Reporters.
The police have confirmed the abduction of Goodluck Ofobruku, Chairman of Delta chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), on Saturday night in Asaba.
The management of the National Youth Service Corps Scheme has suspended the ongoing orientation exercise in all camps nationwide to curb the spread of coronavirus.
In a statement released by the scheme on Wednesday, it said all corps members would proceed to their places of primary assignment.
“Sequel to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic which led to the cancellation of the national sports festival, management of the National Youth Service Corps Scheme wishes to announce the suspension of the on-going orientation course for the 2020 Batch “A” stream 1 corps members,” the statement read.
“Therefore, the corps members shall be posted to commence their primary assignments forthwith, while they shall be invited back to the orientation camps when the situation improves, just like it happened a few years ago when the nation was confronted by the Ebola virus threat.
“Management wishes to state that no corps member or camp official has contracted the virus.”
Sunday Dare, the minister of youth and sports, had announced on Tuesday that President Muhammadu Buhari approved the postponement of the national sports festival that was scheduled to hold in Edo from March 22 to April 1, 2020.
The president also barred public officials from embarking on trips to foreign countries.
Nigeria confirmed a third case of COVID-19 on Tuesday.
The Lagos state government has confirmed a third case of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state.
Akin Abayomi, the state’s commissioner of health, disclosed this at a press conference, on Tuesday.
”We have a 30-year-old who returned on March 13. She returned from the UK after a 10-day stay. After the isolation period, she became unwell and had dry cough,” he said.
”We went to collect her sample and we tested that sample and that sample tested positive. As at yesterday, we now have a third case in Lagos, and as I know, Nigeria. As I speak, the honourable minister of health is giving his press briefing.
“She arrived on BA 75 on the 13th of March. As of last night, we have kick started the process of isolation. She has been moved from her home to infectious centre in Yaba. She is no longer a suspect, she is a confirmed case. We will be reaching out to every member of that flight. We are going to repeat what we did with the index case.
”Luckily, she has been very obedient to our directives so she didn’t go anywhere till we moved her. She has been moved with her family, who are in the family suite, well separated from her. This is an additional measure because in Lagos we are trying to be very aggressive with the contact tracing because we don’t want the case to be transmitted. She is doing well, she does not need any active intervention but supportive care.”
This development comes days after the state government confirmed that the second case was now free of the virus.
The new case is said to be independent of Nigeria’s index case — the Italian who travelled from Milan to Lagos in February.
This also brings the total number of cases of the disease in the country to three.
Twenty-seven African countries have recorded cases of COVID-19, the latest being Benin, Liberia, Somalia and Tanzania.